Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Baby Danny has arrived!

Ready to leave the hospital
Daddy and his boys
Mommy Daddy and Danny
I anticipate this will be a very long posting so heads up. Danny Scott was born on Thursday Dec. 6th at 11:45 pm, he weighed 7 lbs 4.5 oz and was 20 inches long. During the day on Thursday it seemed like baby wasn't moving as much as normal. I had a big spaghetti dinner at night and noticed that I still wasn't getting the activity I was used to so I did an actual kick count as recommended by the Doctor. The kick count didn't ease my worries so I called the Doctor, and she told me to come to the hospital so they could check me out. Jack was already in bed for the night (it was about 8:30 at this point) so I told Brandon just to stay with him and that I'd call him if there was anything to worry about. He was too worried as it was, so he called his mom and she came to watch Jack so he could meet me at the hospital. They hooked me up to a monitor and were able to get a solid heartbeat right away but still no movement, even after I drank some orange juice. They decided to do a biophysical profile, which is essentially a ultrasound that they use to view fetal movement. They did that for about 50 minutes, and decided at that point to go ahead with the c-section! I started to panic because I thought baby wouldn't be arriving until the 14th - I wasn't prepared! I told Doctor that my house wasn't clean but she said we needed to do the c-section anyway! LOL I had been pretty calm up to this point but once they started sticking me with needles and having me sign consent forms I started to get scared. When we got in the operating room I asked the doctor if we were worried about baby. She said that we were, but that we had Dr. Najadawi there in case anything went wrong (he's apparently a pediatric cardiologist). I appreciated that she was honest with me at least. They moved me on to the operating table, and I started to get concerned because Brandon wasn't in the room yet and they hadn't given me the anesthesia yet. I said to the staff, "um, just so you know, I don't have any anesthesia yet so don't start cutting". The anesthesiologist said, "what, you don't?" and then started to laugh. Apparently they do the spinal right there in the operating room. I didn't expect that because I had already had the epidural last time by the time I went into the OR. I got the spinal and it was SO much better than the epidural - I was shocked! They brought Brandon in and in no time I heard Danny cry and they announced "it's a boy!" It was such a relief to know he was here and ok, and so overwhelming to hear it was a boy, that I cried my eyes out. There was a lot of commotion in the room because they discovered why he wasn't moving - he had the cord wrapped around his neck 4 times! Too many acrobatics in there apparently. He was fine and the cord didn't cause any lasting problems. They did tell me that if I hadn't been paying attention to his movements we could've had a different outcome. How scary is that? I'm so glad I listened to my instincts and called the Doctor when I did. More proof that God gave us women's intuition for a reason. Brandon wanted to stay with me in the recovery room until they brought Danny in, but at 1:30 am the nursery still wasn't ready to let us have him so Brandon went home. Turns out this was a smart move because he wasn't ready until about 3:30 - they had a hard time regulating his temperature I guess. It's amazing how exhausted I was but when they brought him in I have never been more awake! I couldn't wait to hold my new baby boy. The spinal lasted a long time - until about 6 am. At one point one of the nurses asked me to roll onto my right side a little bit. I agreed but then didn't move at all. I knew I couldn't move - I don't know why I agreed. The nurse thought that was funny anyway. Friday morning it was so fun calling everyone and telling them the good news. We had lots of visitors at the hospital and Danny got lots of nice presents. Our daycare provider sent us some balloons which Jack had a blast playing with, until he popped one! It sounded like a gun went off - the nurse came flying into our room thinking I had fallen or something! How embarassing. When we got home from the hospital Jack gave Danny a kiss on his forehead. So far he's not jealous, just curious. I missed Jack so much while I was in the hospital! I've been trying to get in some playtime with him but it's been hard since my mobility is still limited and I can't lift him for a couple more weeks. Danny is such a good baby - so sweet. We had his follow-up appt. today and he's gaining weight and looks healthy!

No comments: