Tuesday, July 31, 2007

New survey: Organization more satisfying than sex

I read today that one out of three IKEA customers get more satisfaction from cleaning out a closet than from having sex. Having read this, I plan on going home over lunch and cleaning out a closet (maybe I had no idea what I was missing!)

For those who thought this post was going to get racy, I'm going to throw you off and take this a different direction and discuss surveys. It seems a ridiculous amount of time and money is spent on these surveys and many seem so inconsequential. I wonder if it so people can justify their way of thinking? That they are not unusual? I get that some surveys make sense if the answers are going to impact a decision (such as a company polling employees on a new benefit they are considering, businesses offering different products to their consumers) but some seem just pointless. Even some surveys on very important topics seem like a waste of time.

Brandon and I were talking about this last night as we received a call requesting we participate in a survey about abortion. Does anyone really care what the views are from a young midwestern couple? Are the answers we provide going to impact legislation? Another persons point of view? I seriously doubt a pregnant woman struggling with her decision would say well, since that poll said that 1% more people favor pro-life vs pro-choice I will now choose to save the life of this child I carry? The budget queen in me also wonders, who is funding these surveys? The government? Politicians? IKEA? Well, I guess I've proven myself wrong to an extent about surveys being pointless, because maybe the point of these surveys is just to create discussion and provoke thought. Glad I could participate.

No comments: